It's been a crazy couple of months. Custom Caps (and more) has been booming with tons of orders. Along the way I've had to create a few new hats for clients. I decided to post the patterns here. These have not been tested by anyone else, so please let me know if there are any problems with the pattern. All my patterns are made for one size (usually child size - age 5-10 yrs) but can be modified by adding or subtracting increase rows or using different size hooks
Here's the first of a couple of new patterns:
worsted weight yarn - white and black
finish each round with a slip stitch
Start with magic circle
1) 10 dc into the circle
2) 2 dc in every stitch
3) *2 dc in first stitch, 1 dc in next stitch - repeat from * to end of round
4) *2 dc in first stitch, 1 dc in next 2 stitches - repeat from * to end of round
5) *2 dc in first stitch, 1 dc in next 3 stitches - repeat from * to end of round
6) *2 dc in first stitch, 1 dc in next 4 stitches - repeat from * to end of round
7 - 14) dc in each stitch.
Using black join in 8th stitch from where you fastened off.
1) dc in each stitch 12 times, ch 2 and turn
2) dc2tog, dc in next 8 stitches, dc2tog, ch2 and turn
3) dc2tog, dc in next 6 stitches, dc2tog, ch2 and turn
4) dc2tog, dc in next 4 stitches, dc2tog, fasten off
For the other earflap join at the 19th stitch and follow the directions above.
Join Black yarn at the back of the hat and sc around the hat and earflaps. Fasten off.
You will need 7 strands of black and 8 strands of white for each braid.
I wrap the yarn around my hand to my elbow and back and then cut at my hand to give me strands that are approx. 33 inches long. Push them through the one of the spaces between the stitches in the last row of the earflap (approx. centre) until they are equal lengths on either side. Divide into three groups of 10 strands and braid. Take a spare piece of yarn and tie around the bottom of the braid and then wrap and tie again and then using a needle pull the yarn through the tie so that it comes out down in the loose hanging yarn that makes the tassels. Trim to make the tassel even. Repeat on the other earflap.
Eyes (make two)
using black make a magic circle
1) 8 dc into circle
2) 2 dc in each stitch
3) sc, hdc, 2 dc into the next 3 stitches, hdc, sc in next 10 stitches
using white make magic circle
1) 8 dc into circle.
Using black make magic circle
1) 6 sc into circle.
sew small black circle onto white circle and then sew the white circle to the top part of the large black oval
Ears (make 2)
Make a magic circle
1) 6 sc into circle
2) 2 sc in each stitch
3) *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next - repeat from * to end of round
4 -7) Sc around
Fasten off leaving long tail for sewing
When sewing on ears you will be folding them so they for a sort of cup.
1) ch 5, sc 2nd ch from hook and ea across. (4)
2) ch 1, 2 sc first st, sc in ea of next 2 st, 2sc last st (6)
3) ch 1, sc ea st (6)
4) ch 1, sc2tog over first two sts, sc in ea of next 2 st, sc2tog over last 2 sts (4)