Here's another hat that I made at a client's request. As always I start with the same basic hat pattern and add the details from there. Again, no one has tested the pattern except me so please let me know if there are any problems with it. You hat should fit a 4-12 yr old. To make it larger or smaller do more or less increases or use a smaller or larger hook.
C is for Cookie Hat
worsted weight yarn - royal blue, black, white, beige and scraps of dark brown
finish each round with a slip stitch
Start with magic circle
1) 10 dc into the circle
2) 2 dc in every stitch
3) *2 dc in first stitch, 1 dc in next stitch - repeat from * to end of round
4) *2 dc in first stitch, 1 dc in next 2 stitches - repeat from * to end of round
5) *2 dc in first stitch, 1 dc in next 3 stitches - repeat from * to end of round
6) *2 dc in first stitch, 1 dc in next 4 stitches - repeat from * to end of round
7 - 14) dc in each stitch.
Join main colour in 8th stitch from where you fastened off.
1) dc in each stitch 12 times, ch 2 and turn
2) dc2tog, dc in next 8 stitches, dc2tog, ch2 and turn
3) dc2tog, dc in next 6 stitches, dc2tog, ch2 and turn
4) dc2tog, dc in next 4 stitches, dc2tog, fasten off
For the other earflap join at the 19th stitch and follow the directions above.
Join yarn at the back of the hat and sc around the hat and earflaps. Fasten off.
Take 15 strands of yarn (I wrap the yarn around my hand to my elbow and back 15 times and then cut at my hand to give me 15 strands that are approx. 33 inches) and push them through the one of the spaces between the stitches in the last row of the earflap (approx. centre) until they are equal lengths on either side. Divide into three groups of 10 strands and braid. Take a spare piece of yarn and tie around the bottom of the braid and then wrap and tie again and then using a needle pull the yarn through the tie so that it comes out down in the loose hanging yarn that makes the tassels. Trim to make the tassel even. Repeat on the other earflap.
Using black, make a magic loop and sc 6 times into the circle. Fasten off (make 2)
Make two pompoms out of white yarn.
Attach one of the black circles to each of the pompoms
Using black yarn make a magic loop
1) 8 dc into the circle. Do not join, ch2, turn
2) 2 dc in each stitch, ch 2 and turn
3) *2 dc in first stitch 1dc in next - repeat to end of row, ch2, turn
4) dc in each stitch
Cookies (make 4)
Make magic loop
1) 8 dc into the circle
2) 2dc in each stitch
3)*2dc in first stitch, 1 dc in next stitch - repeat to end of round (this round is optional - for smaller cookies just do rounds one and two)
Using some darker brown yarn sew on some "chocolate chips"
put one cookie on either side of the bottom of your braid and sew them together making sure to sew through the braid in order to make sure that the cookies don't fall off.